Cold Ginger Carrot Soup
Judy Hermann shared a delicious hit with our Eat Righters.
INGREDIENTS (4-6 servings)
1 medium onion, finely chopped
3 tablespoons of unsalted butter or ghee
1 1/2 pound carrots, slicked 1/8 inch think (4 cups)
1 quart low-salt chick stock
1/2 inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped (taste to your desire)
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 black pepper
1 cup fresh orange juice
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Melt butter or ghee in heavy saucepan over medium heat and add onion and cook, stirring occasionally until golden, about 3 minutes.
- Add carrots, ginger, stock, salt and pepper and simmer, covered until carrots are very tender, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Let soup slightly cool then puree soup in batches in a blender until very smooth, about 1 minute (use caution when blending hot liquids) Soup will become thick.
- TIP: Irmmersion blender would work as well
- Transfer to bowl and stir in orange and lemon juices
- Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving. Add a bit of water if the soup thickens too much when chilled
Amanda made this yummy dish for one of our 2016 Fundamental Food Events – it was such a hit that we couldn’t help but share this recipe with you.